Family escapes carbon monoxide poisoning in Ionia

Posted at 9:45 AM, Jan 28, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-28 21:54:27-05

IONIA, Mich.--A family of six in Ionia is counting their blessings, after an incredible escape from a house filled with carbon monoxide.

At about 1:00 a.m., Ionia Department of Public Safety crews responded to a house on Hall Street with a gas meter that detects carbon monoxide.  The found a reading of 400 parts per million, and first responders say a level of 150 ppm can cause death.

Incredibly, the family was alerted to the situation when a child fell out of bed and started crying. The mother then realized that the children were feeling sick and light-headed, and called 911.

Emergency crews immediately evacuated the mother and four children from the home, and took them via Life EMS ambulance to Sparrow-Ionia Hospital. The father, a truck driver, was not home at the time.

There were no working carbon monoxide detectors in the home, and police say the outcome could have been much different if that child had not fallen out of bed and started crying.

The family is now staying with relatives, and say they are hoping to replace their faulty furnace, which caused the gas leak.

A GoFundMe has been set up to help the family come up with the necessary funds.

Click here if you would like to donate.