BATTLE CREEK, Mich. – Law enforcement in Calhoun County conducted alcohol compliance checks at 109 bars, restaurants and stores to see if anyone would sell alcohol to minors.
14 of them did.
The compliance checks happened on December 11 in collaboration with the Substance Abuse Council. According to the council, law enforcement supervised undercover youth who then attempted to buy alcohol at the stores. The 14 establishments that sold to minors will be penalized. According to the council 9 of the 14 that sold to the minors check the undercover person’s ID and still sold to them.
The council also says that at 87%, Calhoun County is one of the better counties in the state for alcohol compliance. The checks take place twice a year.
The 14 businesses that sold to minors are:
- Thrifty Mart at 217 S. Superior in Albion
- Horrocks at 235 SE Capital in Battle Creek
- Capital Market at 3725 Capital Ave. NE in Battle Creek
- C Store – 321 E. Emmett in Battle Creek
- Speedway #3572 – 566 W. Columbia in Battle Creek
- Taqueria San Francisco – 595 W. Columbia in Battle Creek
- Sakura Sushi & Grill – 5285 Beckley in Battle Creek
- The Party Store – 1950 W. Columbia in Battle Creek
- K Mart #3841 – 15861 Michigan in Marshall
- Springfield Party Store – 599 Avenue A in Springfield
- Bellers Market – 504 Upton in Springfield
- Heartbeats – 182 Avenue A in Springfield
- Brotts Grocery – 8122 M-60 in Union City
- PS Food Mart – 8160 M-60 in Union City