Ohio man dies from bee stings on northern Michigan golf course

Posted at 12:18 PM, Sep 10, 2015
and last updated 2015-09-10 12:18:30-04

DOVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. – An Ohio man died Wednesday afternoon after being stung by several bees while playing golf in northern Michigan.

Michigan State Police say that Darryl Dever, 64, of Powell, Ohio was golfing at the Treetops North Golf Course when he suffered about 20 stings to the head and shoulders while looking for his golf ball in the woods.  Police believe the bee’s nest was on the ground and Dever stepped on it.  Dever died at the scene from anaphylactic shock.  It is unknown if Dever was allergic or not, but police say this many stings can cause a victim’s airways to constrict, cutting off breathing.

Dever was golfing with a friend who tried CPR.  They did not have cell phone coverage in that area of the course and had to get other golfers to get in touch with staff to call 911.