GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- A dad from Kent County is in the fight of his life after being shocked on the job. Kyle Scheuneman's family spoke with Fox 17 News Sunday evening on his behalf, asking for prayers and support during this difficult time in their lives.
Nobody knows exactly what happened April 23 when Kyle was shocked while fixing electrical lines.
Julie Scheuneman, Kyle's mother, remembers that day being a nightmare.
"It's overwhelming," said Julie Scheuneman. "It was the worst phone call I've received in my whole life."
It's been almost four weeks since the accident when Kyle was shocked while working on power lines for Kent Power out of Kent City, an accident Lindy Scheuneman, Kyle's wife, understands could have been fatal.
"He's lost the majority of the left side of his back to the exit wound," said Lindy.
Kyle, father of three, is currently in the intensive care burn unit at Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, undergoing muscle flap repair and skin graphs. Nine surgeries after the accident, Kyle's journey to recovery has just begun.
Family members established a Gofundme account, raising more than $30,000.
Meanwhile, the Scheuneman family says all they can do is pray for a miracle.
"I just stay in the room by his side," said Kyle's mom. "Holding his hand, like any mom would."
Kyle's family asked us not to show photographs of Kyle in the hospital, and many family and friends still unable to go into the ICU.
But you can show your support by donating blood at a blood drive for Kyle August 1 at the Kent City High School.
The family tells us the incident is under investigation by the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration. They also say his company has been very supportive through the ordeal.