Battle Creek Police identify officers involved in deadly shooting

Posted at 6:06 PM, May 12, 2015

BATTLE CREEK – The Battle Creek Police Department has identified two officers involved in a deadly shooting near Linear Park path, behind the Calhoun County Justice Center on Sunday, May 10.

19-year-old Koddy Zachery Campbell died Sunday at Bronson Battle Creek Hospital following a shooting involving the officers.

Relatives of Campbell said Sunday morning while they were asleep, Campbell took his brother’s small handgun out of their home. In conversation later Sunday morning, Campbell texted his brother that he had his handgun, and then a text stating, “I’m done.”

Around 10:40 a.m. Sunday, a concerned family member called police, and reported Campbell was believed to be suicidal. By the time they had arrived, Campbell had left his home on Cherry Street and was thought to possibly be carrying a firearm.

At 10:47 a.m. Campbell reportedly began making calls to Calhoun County Dispatch center, where he is said to have provided several locations where police could meet him.  He allegedly told them that he was not armed and that he wanted to commit suicide “by cop”.

Officers said they eventually located Campbell on the Linear Park Path, just behind the Calhoun County Jail, and that he pulled a small-caliber handgun from his waistband.  Officers reportedly raised their weapons at this point and say that shots were fired from both parties.

Campbell's mother spoke to FOX17 on Sunday, saying the teenager had battled bi-polar disorder for years.

Left: Officer Charles Pelfrey, Right: Officer Carl Vandyke (Photos: Battle Creek Police Department)

Left: Officer Charles Pelfrey, Right: Officer Carl Vandyke (Photos: Battle Creek Police Department)

The officers involved in the shooting have been identified as Patrol Officers Charles Pelfrey and Carl Vandyke.

Pelfrey has worked as a sworn police officer with the Battle Creek Police Department since 1998.  Vandyke has been with the department since 2014, and was previously an officer for five years with the Federal Way Police Department in Federal Way, Washington.

Both officers are on paid administrative leave, which is standard operating procedure in this type of investigation.  The officers will remain on leave until the investigation reaches a conclusion.

Two other officers witnessed the incident, and are scheduled to return to duty this week following interviews with the Michigan State Police.