News

Actions

Olivet College re-opens residence hall after multiple tests for carbon monoxide

Posted at 5:05 AM, Sep 12, 2014

OLIVET, Mich. — Following numerous tests and safety precautions, Olivet College has reopened a residence hall in which dozens of students reported an illness that had symptoms that were similar to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Below is the official statement from Olivet College’s website:

Updated 5:33 p.m., Sept. 11

The Olivet Fire Department has repeatedly tested Blair Hall for carbon monoxide, and all readings have been and continue to be clear. Forty gas monitors were installed in the hall last evening and none have shown evidence of carbon monoxide or other noxious gases in the building. The Olivet Fire Department did one final check for gas in the building at noon today and again found no evidence of carbon monoxide or other gases. The building has been cleared by fire department officials as safe.

There is no evidence to suggest that students became ill due to the environmental conditions in Blair Hall. No additional students have demonstrated symptoms since last evening. Olivet College will continue to monitor and work with local health officials to seek the cause of the student illnesses. As an added precaution against possible communicable disease, all commonly touched surfaces in Blair Hall, such as door knobs, bathroom fixtures and laundry equipment, have been sanitized.

The health and safety of our students is our absolute top priority. Olivet College administrators and all of the medical professionals consulted agree that Blair Hall is safe. As of 3:18 p.m. today, Blair Hall has reopened to residents.

Olivet College will continue to provide updates as details become available. For questions, please contact Molly Goaley, director of media relations, at (269) 749-7141.