Roof Collapses at Overnight House Fire; No Injuries Reported

Posted at 5:11 AM, May 02, 2014
and last updated 2014-05-02 06:52:54-04

newaygo fireSAND LAKE, Mich. (May 2, 2014) — Multiple crews responded to an overnight house fire in rural Newaygo County early Friday morning.

It happened at around 2:40 a.m. at a home on E Edge Ln in Sand Lake.  The daughter of the homeowners woke up and discovered their house was on fire.  When firefighters arrived at the scene, they described the home as being fully engulfed in flames, and they called for additional help.

Eventually, the roof of the house caved in as a result of the fire.  The Sand Lake Fire Chief says the flames started in the attic and traveled into the basement.  The family told officials that they have been having electrical issues ever since the recent storms and heavy rains a few weeks ago.

Everyone was able to get out safely, including the family pets.

The fire remains under investigation.