Victim in Fruitland Shooting Describes Attempting to Save Friend’s Life

Posted at 6:58 PM, Dec 26, 2013
and last updated 2013-12-26 19:30:30-05

TWIN LAKE, Mich. — Julius Pamer said that his friends were having a small get together at a home located on McMillan in Fruitland Township when multiple cars showed up in the driveway.

Pamer, 22, said he went outside to see what was going on. An altercation started between one of the victims and one of the unwanted guests. After that, Pamer said that he thought the group would leave.

He said that the group was unable to see who was shooting, and everyone ran for cover.

“We were stumbling into the house. We all just kind of fell into the house, fell into the door as soon as we could,” he said.  “I realized that I had gotten shot and I was bleeding and I took my boots off and I started running around the house to make sure everyone else was okay.”

Pamer then realized his friend, 21-year-old Gary O’Green, was still laying on the ground.

“I ripped his sweatshirt off of him and saw that he had a bullet wound in the chest, and I knew right away he got shot in lungs, and knew there wasn’t much of a chance for him, but we did everything we could,” he said.

Pamer said that he ignored his own bullet wound in a desperate attempt to save his friend’s life.

“We got on the phone with the paramedics, and Colton was pumping his chest 30 times and then I’d give him a couple deep breaths of oxygen and he was kind of responsive for the first six or seven times. He would spat up some blood and kind of breath a little bit, and then after that he just kind of didn’t have anything left in him,” he said.

Pamer said that O’Green died in his arms before paramedics arrived.

“Gary had gotten shot in the chest. My wounds were completely insignificant to his. It hurt, but at the same time I had other things I had to take care of. My wounds were the last thing I was concerned about,” said Pamer.

Pamer said that he wants the suspected shooter, Deontay Black-Wickliffe, behind bars.

“Speak up. Tell somebody, tell me, tell the cops, tell one of your friends, tell anybody. That guy needs to go away,” said Pamer.

Muskegon law enforcement said that Black-Wickliffe, 22, is wanted for the murder of O’Green and the attempted murder of the other three people in the group.

He has a violent criminal past, and was charged with armed robbery when he was 17.

Alexander Bumstead, 23, is currently behind bars on $1,000,000 bond for crimes related to the shooting. He awaiting a charge of involuntary manslaughter.  Bumstead’s attorney told FOX 17 that he has still yet to review any evidence in the case.

Muskegon County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Timothy Maat said that Black-Wickliffe was the only gunman.

“The evidence does support a charge that he (Alexander Bumstead) acted in a negligent manner. There is not evidence at this point that he had a weapon or that he was the shooter. The only shooter in this case was Mr. Black-Wickliffe,” Maat said.

Maat said investigators from multiple agencies have been working to piece together the events that lead to O’Green’s death.

There is a $5,000 reward being offered for information that leads to Black-Wickliffe’s arrest. Anyone with information should contact Silent Observer at, or call 231-72-CRIME.

Bumstead is scheduled to be arraigned on Jan. 3.

A funeral service for Gary O’Green is scheduled for 4 p.m on Friday at Crosswinds Church.