Kentwood Double Murder Suspect Heads to Trial For Other Charges

Posted at 7:23 PM, Jul 17, 2013
and last updated 2013-07-17 21:52:01-04

WYOMING, Mich. – The man charged in the double murder of a Kentwood couple now heads to trial on other charges.

On Wednesday, Javonte Higgins entered a Wyoming courtroom. He appeared overwhelmed by the amount the amount of people inside the court. He even seemed jumpy at times when hearing the sounds of cameras flashing.

Higgins was brought into court on charges regarding two home invasions and an auto theft that took place on December 9, 2012.

The suspect’s accused of breaking into the homes, located in Wyoming, both off 52nd Street west of Clyde Park Avenue.

Four witnesses took the stand on Wednesday. Kathy Garvey, told the courtroom that she arrived home late that night, at about 2 a.m., to find her house in disarray.

“I saw cupboards opened when I got home,” she said.

She also said whoever broke in stole some tins that were in her bedroom and that doors to the closet were open.

However, the key pieces of evidence stolen from Garvey’s home, were three rings that she identified as hers while in court.

Two other witnesses, George and Michele Davis, say their house was the other one that was broken into. They say they were awakened by police, who were there to tell them that their Chevrolet Silverado was stolen.

“I looked out and oh my God it was gone,” Michele Davis said about the truck.

Kentwood Police Officer, David Helm, said he was working the overnight shift when those robberies took place. He said he noticed Javonte Higgins speeding past him on 52nd Street, at what appeared to be 100 mph. Higgins was driving a Chevrolet Silverado.

That’s when the officer said a chase began. He said Higgins blew through a red light on Kalamazoo Avenue and lost control of the truck, smashing it into a tree near the corner of Gentian Drive, just north of 60th Street.

“When they actually extricated the individual from the vehicle, those rings[the rings Garvey identified as hers] actually fell out of his pocket next to the stretcher,” Helm said.

The judge ruled there was enough evidence to send Higgins to trial on two counts of first degree home invasion, fleeing and eluding and unlawfully driving away.

A court date for Higgins has not been scheduled.