- Spices generally last about a year
- Whole spices last longer than ground
- Be sure to store in a cool, dry, dark place, and to keep them well sealed
- When you purchase a new jar of spices write the date on the jar so you know when you bought it
- Spices should have a potent fresh smell and taste and should still be their original color
- If you don’t really smell anything when you open your spice jar, your spice is probably old
- Have fun with spices! Buy one you have never tried before and see how creative you can be!