Daughter Charged with Hatchet Attack on Parents

Posted at 1:28 PM, Mar 07, 2013
and last updated 2013-03-20 16:52:29-04

WYOMING, Mich.– The 28-year-old woman charged with attacking her parents with a hatchet while they slept made her first court appearance via video arraignment, Wednesday.

Amber Lynn Wilson is charged with two counts of assault with intent to murder and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

An affidavit reveals what happened in the family’s home in Wyoming in the early morning hours of March 6.

“You’re going to die! I’m going to kill you!” were the words Harold Clark and Pamela Wilson heard when they woke to Pamela’s daughter, Amber, holding a hatchet above her head.

The affidavit goes on to say Amber swung the weapon down, hitting her mother in the shoulder before moving onto Harold, striking him in the chest. Harold was able to get the hatchet out of Amber’s hands. Police say that’s when she ran into the basement, and the couple ran to get help. Their injuries were non life-threatening.

Police, under the impression Amber was still inside the home and armed, called in the SWAT team. Officers said she had escaped out a basement window. They eventually arrested her in the area of 36th Street and Clyde Park later Wednesday.

This was just the latest and most serious incident involving the 28-year-old. While Amber does not have a criminal past in Michigan, there was a personal protection order filed against her from a former teacher.

The documents claim Amber started emailing love letters to him. Sometimes, he received several in a day.

In one instance, he says Amber wrote, “I’ll be home soon. Keep holding on… please. I love you, me.” Her teacher’s response, “This is a very sentimental note. Are you sure it is for me?”

Several more messages followed, many of which included Amber urging her former teacher to meet her. The papers go on to say Amber even changed her  name on Facebook to avoid having some of those messages blocked.

That man claimed he never had any type of relationship with Amber, other than being her teacher at Godwin High School 12 years earlier.

When police confronted Amber about those emails, they say she told them she suffers from brain damage, stemming from a car accident, and that “she was trying to piece together memories. Some she knows are not true.” Amber was never charged in that case.

As for the hatched incident, Amber remains in jail, without bond, for the attempted murder charges. During her court appearance Wednesday, Amber claimed she was never read her Miranda rights during her arrest. The court entered a not guilty plea. She’s expected back in court March 20.