CMU Abduction: Officials Survive Dangerous Chase With Suspect

Posted at 4:44 PM, Jan 18, 2013
and last updated 2013-01-18 16:44:04-05

GAYLORD, Mich. – Michigan State Police Troopers said they went on a dangerous chase that lasted for hours with the man who kidnapped and assaulted the CMU student.

At about 2:50 a.m., troopers from the MSP Gaylord Post were investigating a suspicious vehicle in a parking lot within the city limits of Gaylord, Otsego County. That’s when they said Eric Ramsey drove up and rammed their patrol car, three times. The troopers said Ramsey caused extensive damage to the patrol car, making it inoperable.

The troopers then followed the snow tracks from Ramsey’s vehicle to an elk ranch off of Grandview Bldv. The tracks led them through an 8 to 10 feet high enclosure fence. The troopers followed the tracks on foot for nearly a mile before they found the Ramsey’s vehicle stuck in the snow. The troopers climbed over the fence and continued their pursuit.

They followed the suspect’s footprints, which led them to a vehicle’s tracks where a possible truck with dual wheels was once parked. Troopers put out a warning that Ramsey had possibly stolen this tuck and was on the run.

At about 4:17 a.m. troopers were southbound on Old 27, trying to locate the suspect’s vehicle. While parked, a large truck came driving up behind them with no headlights. Ramsey was behind the wheel of a one-ton Arrow flatbed truck. He struck the troopers’ vehicle again.

A Crawford County deputy was following the truck and witnessed Ramsey smashing into the patrol vehicle. The deputy slowed his vehicle to ensure the troopers were OK and was waived on to continue his pursuit. The suspect then turned his vehicle around and headed straight for the deputy. Knowing Ramsey had just smashed into the trooper’s vehicle, the deputy left the roadway to avoid a head-on collision. The suspect was not finished. He came after the deputy once more, this time, he caught up to him and rammed into his vehicle.

Both vehicles came to a stop. Their front ends were wedged together. Then things got worse for the deputy. He was at first pinned inside his vehicle. Somehow, he managed to make his way out, where he then shot and killed 30-year-old Eric Ramsey.

All officers involved were treated and released with only minor injuries.