LANSING, Mich. — All bottle and can return facilities must reopen effectively immediately, the state treasury said Thursday.
Grocery stores, supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations and other retailers with these facilities must resume collection of returnables and refund customer deposits.
The facilities must comply with all state-mandated safety protocols to protect both workers and the public under the emergency order issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
Retailers may also take any or all of the following steps at their discretion:
- Limit the number of beverage containers that may be returned by a single individual per day to a despot refund amount of $25, as outlined in state law
- Establish special or limited hours of operation for return facilities
- Limit the number of available and operating reverse vending machines
- Periodically close return facilities as needed for cleaning and supply management
- Implement other procedures or restrictions as necessary to promote safety, efficiency or both
More information about the expansion of bottle and can return opportunities can be found here.