GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — When it announced the season-long bridge rehab project on I-196 west of downtown Grand Rapids, the Michigan Department of Transportation stated that occasional freeway and ramp closures would take place.
They weren’t kidding.
For the third time, one side of I-196 will be closed for a weekend, and it’s the second time the westbound side will be closed.
- Westbound I-196 closed from US-131 to Market Avenue from Friday at 9 p.m. to no later than Monday at 5 p.m, June 5-8.
- All ramps connecting to that portion of I-196 will be closed during that time.
- The ramp from Ionia Avenue to westbound I-196 will be closed, too.
- Eastbound I-196 will remain open with the existing lane closure from Market Avenue to US-131.
- The ramp from Lake Michigan Drive to eastbound I-196 is closed until Oct. 31.
- Detour options: 1) South on US-131, exit at Market Avenue, south to I-196. Be aware that there is construction on Market Avenue. 2) South on 131 to M-6, west to I-196 in Hudsonville.