NewsLocal NewsIonia


No injuries after propane tank sparks house fire near Saranac

Posted at 4:56 AM, Jan 15, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-15 05:24:03-05

BOSTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A family is safe after a gas line leading to their propane tank exploded and caused their home to catch fire early Wednesday.

It happened at a home on Elm Lane and Woodland Drive along M-21 in Boston Township.

The homeowner, Joshua Miles, tells FOX 17 he and his wife along with their three kids were woken up to the sound of a loud explosion and went outside to find flames by the back porch near the propane tank.

Miles says he has taken fire safety classes and knew to quickly shut off the propane tank to stop fueling the fire.

The explosion was so powerful it actually knocked the skirting off the home, according to Miles.

"The whole house actually shook and some of the pictures did fall off the walls when it did," he said.

Inside the home, Miles says there is smoke damage and damage to the floor.

Miles says he is happy that their family and animals all made it out safely.