NewsLocal News

Actions

Faulty outlet to blame in apartment fire

WXMI_Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 5:10 PM, Apr 15, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-15 17:11:48-04

DOWAGIAC, Mich. — Fire investigators determined a bad electrical outlet caused a destructive fire Saturday afternoon.

The Dowagiac Fire Department and Indian Lake Volunteer Fire Department put out an apartment fire at 501 Vineyard Place. The woman living there was in the process of moving out and was packing things in the basement when she realized the fire alarms were going off.

Crews were able to contain the flames to one apartment, though the neighboring apartment was damaged by water from the hoses.

The woman saw flames in the kitchen and living area of the apartment as she left the building. She was treated for minor smoke inhalation by Pride Care EMS.

After investigating the scene, it was determined that a faulty outlet in the living room.