NewsLocal NewsGrand Rapids

Actions

Oven fire sends families into the streets of downtown Grand Rapids

An oven fire shut caused the evacuation of a downtown Grand Rapids apartment
Posted at 9:06 PM, Dec 22, 2019

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich — An oven fire moved into a ventilation shaft and caused a downtown apartment to be evacuated Sunday night.

"When we arrived on scene we found a fire in the hood system," Deputy Fire Chief Ron Tennant said. "When the rest of the resources came we noticed smoke coming from the vent stack up on the roof. The fire was contained to the ventilation in the duct system from that oven."

Fire fighters shut down the corner of Division Avenue and Monroe Center Street while they contained the flames. The ventilation system is on the outside of the building and there doesn't seem to have extended much into the building and so far there are no reports of injuries from the fire.

Tennant told FOX 17 the intersection was shut down for a couple of hours, but the evacuation was precautionary.