(WXYZ) — The Detroit Pistons and former Bad Boy Rick Mahorn are hosting the 16h annual Black History Month Scholarship Event on Thursday.
The virtual event will show seniors from Detroit high schools participate in a slam poetry competition in front of a panel of judges in an effort to win the grand prize of a $25,000 Early Lloyd Award scholarship. Second place will get $20,000 and third place will get $15,000.
On top of the slam poetry event, there will also be a poster content where students will design a "Power Humanity" themed poster for a $20,000 scholarship.
Participating schools include:
· Jalen Rose Leadership Academy
· Loyola High School
· Detroit Collegiate Preparatory High School
· Cass Technical High School
· University Prep High School
· Cody High School
· Renaissance High School
· Detroit International Academy for Young Women