BIG RAPIDS, Mich. — A woman is suing a Meijer store in Mecosta County, as well as Eagle Produce, after she purchased and consumed allegedly contaminated fruit.
Eating the fruit caused the woman, Barbara Bowers, severe gastrointestinal issues that required hospitalization, Ven Johnson Law said Thursday.
Bowers purchased a prepackaged container of mixed melon chunks in September at the Meijer located at 1500 Waldron Way in Big Rapids.
The melon was supplied by Scottsdale, Arizona-based Eagle Produce.
Bowers says she became sick with nausea and extreme diarrhea and went to the emergency room at Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital, where she was diagnosed with “diarrhea of presumed infection origin, weakness and abdominal cramping.”
Within a week of Bowers’ hospital visit, Meijer and Eagle Produce issued a multi-state, voluntary recall of a list of products that included “mixed melon chunks small bowl.”
According to Meijer’s recall announcement, the recall was because of a risk of Salmonella.
“It’s clear both of these companies lost sight of what is most important – protecting the health of their customers,” said Ven Johnson, president of Ven Johnson Law. “Both Meijer and Eagle Produce were more focused on getting their product on shelves rather than taking the necessary time to inspect the food. As a result of their negligence, our client suffered severe discomfort, mental anguish, pain and humiliation over their failure to exercise caution.”
The lawsuit includes counts of negligence, gross negligence, willful and wanton misconduct and breach of warranty.