WASHINGTON D.C. — President-elect Joe Biden has nominated Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer for vice chair of the Democratic National Committee.
In 2020, Whitmer served as co-chair for the Biden-Harris campaign and was named to the Presidential Inaugural Committee. Prior to Biden choosing Sen. Kamala Harris as his running mate, Gov. Whitmer was up for consideration. In an Associated Press report, it was Whitmer who suggested to Biden that he choose a Black woman as VP.
"Whitmer sent word to Biden’s team that while she was flattered, she no longer wanted to be considered for the running mate slot, according to a high-ranking Democrat familiar with the process," read the AP report. "She recommended Biden pick a Black woman."
- Jaime Harrison, Chair
- Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, Vice Chair of Civic Engagement and Voter Protection
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth, Vice Chair
- Rep. Filemon Vela Jr., Vice Chair
- Jason Rae, Secretary
- Virginia McGregor, Treasurer
- Chris Korge, National Finance Chair
Members of the DNC will vote for its officer Thursday, Jan. 21.