NewsLocal NewsLakeshoreOttawa

Actions

One hospitalized for smoke inhalation after fire in Holland

WXMI_Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:14 AM, Feb 20, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-20 12:18:46-05

HOLLAND, Mich. — One person was hospitalized for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out inside an apartment building, according to Holland Department of Public Safety Fire Services.

It happened early Thursday morning at Greenbrier Apartments, 121 Waverly Rd. in Holland.

Upon arrival, crews found a fire in the second floor trash room and heavy smoke on the second floor.

Firefighters say the fire was quickly extinguished and was contained to a trash cart. Officials say the fire appears to be accidental and was most likely caused by discarded smoking materials.

There were no serious injuries in the fire, but one person sustained minor smoke inhalation.

The Holland Fire Department said this is the third fire where smoke alarms provided early notice of a fire and prevented a worst-case scenario from happening.