ZEELAND, Mich. — The City of Zeeland temporarily set aside their tag line 'Feel the Zeel' to make room for their new motto, 'Heal the Zeel.'
The city says they made the temporary change to uplift the community and bring encouragement and motivation during the coronavirus pandemic.
They recognize that different parts of the city are struggling with different parts of the pandemic, whether it's health, economy, education or relationships.
"We will need to support one another through this recovery," said marketing director Abby deRoo. "We are hopeful that the HEAL THE ZEEL brand will encourage our community to do just that.”
There are five ways the City of Zeeland has been "healing the zeel."
- Local businesses are brandishing a Z! heart on their front windows.
- Local police are passing out Z! kickballs to local kids and families saying Zeeland will bounce back.
- The city says they wanted to help people visit their favorite places around the city during their Zoom meetings by creating custom backgrounds that can be used during virtual meetings.
- Adding 'Heal the Zeel" messages to sidewalks
- Adding a list of local businesses that are open during the pandemic.
“There is a lot happening right now that we cannot control, but we do have control over how we respond and how we come together as a community," deRoo said. "It is our hope that when Zeelanders reflect back on this time, although there will be some hard memories around loss, we are hopeful that there will be good memories as well; warm thoughts about how it felt to be part of the Zeeland community during this season."