BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — The City of Battle Creek is continuing its preparations for a visit with President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence next week.
Trump’s “Merry Christmas Rally” is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. on December 18 at Kellogg Arena in downtown Battle Creek.
Because of the large crowd expected for the event and security needs for Trump and Pence several roads and parking areas will be closed.
There will be no parking in the following areas starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday:
· Both sides of Full Blast (35 Hamblin Ave.)
· Wave Square at McCamly and Jackson streets
· Riverwalk Centre parking ramp
· Hamblin Avenue parking ramp
The city has two recommendations for parking routes to get into downtown:
· Dickman Road to Washington Avenue to Van Buren Street
· M-66 to Van Buren Street
Around the arena, the following roads will be closed on Wednesday at 8 a.m.:
· Hamblin Avenue form Capital Avenue to McCamly Street
· McCamly Street from Hamblin to Jackson Street
As the size of the crowd increases near the arena and Festival Market Square, Jackson Street and Michigan Avenue will close.
Temporary closures will impact busy roads:
· Helmer Road
· Dickman Road
· Washington Avenue
· Capital Avenue SW will experience short, intermittent closures
Rally attendees who have a disability placard or license plate will park at the former K-Mart site at the corner of Capital Avenue SW and Dickman Road. People can enter the lot via Capital Avenue.
Battle Creek Transit will shuttle people who park there to Kellogg Arena and back after the rally.
The city’s website has a full list of business closures and public transit changes.