When it comes to spring cleaning, you can do more than just dust the shelves or wash the windows. It's a good time for a tech cleanup too.
Michelle and Bill from Comcast shared some tips to help improve your WiFi performance and clean your network:
Check WiFi Performance
- Make sure your cable connections are tight.
- Moving things around the house? Think about router placement. Your router should be in a centralized part of the house, preferably off the floor, away from major appliances and fish tanks.
- Run a speed test on one of the FREE websites out there.
- Extend your WiFi signal to hard-to-reach areas of the home like garages, man caves or upstairs bedrooms. There are a variety of signal extenders out there. We offer xFi Pods that come in a 3-pack. You plug these into electrical outlets around the home and they help the WiFi signal reach those isolated areas.
- Manage your network – Old phones and devices connected to your WiFi network can slow things down. See what’s actually connected by using apps like xFi to see what is on your network. If you don’t recognize the device, delete it from your network!
- Delete unnecessary data by removing texts, cell history and unused apps.
- One tip for deleting apps – Create a folder of seldom used apps and set up a calendar invite for 3 months. If you haven’t used the app over the 3 months, delete it out of the folder!
Protect your devices from attack
- Comcast’s xFi Advanced Security – Protects your entire network by preventing you from inadvertently accessing malicious sites, blocking remote access to smart devices from unknown or dangerous sources and monitoring activity in real time to detect when devices are behaving in unusual ways that could indicate a network threat.
- Make sure your router is up to date and has some kind of firewall.