5 hospitalized after overnight fire in Muskegon

Posted at 5:40 AM, Oct 19, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-19 19:25:35-04

MUSKEGON, Mich. -- Three people and two firefighters were hospitalized after a fire broke out in Muskegon overnight.

It happened at a home in the 1600 block of Glade Street in Muskegon around 1:52 a.m. Friday.

Muskegon Assistant Fire Chief Gordon Cole says crews arrived at the home to find three residents trapped on the second floor where the fire had started.  The people were hanging out of two upstairs windows when officials arrived at the scene, according to a release.

Officials say one of the three people fell from a second floor window, knocking a firefighter off a ladder.

"All five people who were hospitalized suffered non-life threatening injuries. The two firefighters and the three victims were all transported to the hospital. They were all in stable condition. I know one firefighter was discharged early this morning and the second firefighter, who I spoke to early this morning, as far as I know he's still there," says Muskegon Fire Union President Chris Drake.

Fire officials say these residents did everything right and it likely saved their lives.

"The important thing here is all the residents had their bedroom doors closed, and they had working smoke detectors. the smoke detectors woke them up, they were able to call 911, and the closed bedroom doors kept them isolated from the fire until we could get them out of the windows," says
Muskegon fire Assistant Chief, Gordon Tole

The Muskegon Department of Public Safety says the house suffered extensive damage and the Red Cross is assisting the people who live there. The fire remains under investigation.