WYOMING, Mich. - Students and staff at Grand View Elementary School have been evacuated after a gas leak nearby.
The leak apparently is originating across 52nd Street SW from the school, according to Grandville Public Schools officials.
Officials tell FOX 17 that the evacuation is precautionary, but students were sent home for the day.
DTE Energy officials say they have repaired the leak. Neighbors to the school and parents say they've reported smelling gas to DTE the last few days, but they were unable to find the leak until Wednesday.
DTE says they believe the leak was caused by lightening hitting a tree on the property across the street, currents traveling down into the ground and disrupting a gas line.
Grandville Public Schools has not confirmed whether or not there will be school tomorrow.