Bat with rabies bites boy in Van Buren County

Posted at 11:04 PM, Oct 19, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-19 23:08:42-04

VAN BUREN COUNTY, Mich.  -- Eleven-year-old Scotty Cripps and his 10-year-old brother Jaxson know Halloween is approaching, but didn't think the creepy things in the night would come into their bedroom in Grand Junction and wake them up.

Earlier this month, a bat with rabies bit Scotty while the brothers were sleeping.  Scotty called for his brother after he felt something latch onto his finger underneath his sheets.

"When I figured out it was a bat, I was like 'No, no, no, get it away, no!" Jaxson said.

Scotty had the good sense to not let the creature get away.

"I wanted to keep a hold of it for testing and it died," Scotty said.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services says that if you wake up and find a bat in your room, you should go to the emergency room.   This is because bats have very small, fine teeth and a bite may not even be felt.

Both of the brothers were taken to the ER immediately for treatment.  They got a series of seven shots to prevent them from getting the disease.