Police: 3 hurt after suspected drunk driver hits ambulance

Posted at 6:21 AM, Aug 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-08-08 13:13:24-04

ALLEGAN COUNTY, Mich. — Deputies say three people were injured, including two paramedics, in a head-on crash involving a truck and an ambulance near the intersection of 141st Avenue and Blue Star Highway Sunday morning.

The crash happened around 4:30 a.m. Sunday involving a pickup truck and an ambulance.

The  Graafschap Fire Department and a deputy from the Allegan County Sheriff’s Office arrived to find the driver of a pickup truck trapped in his vehicle, the driver of the ambulance trapped inside and the second EMT that was in the back of the ambulance severely injured.

A small fire in the engine area of the ambulance was quickly extinguished by passers by.

The crash remains under investigation by the Allegan County Sheriff's Office, which said "it is readily apparent that the pickup truck crossed the center line while southbound on Blue Star Highway, where it struck the northbound ambulance heading back to Holland."

There were no patients being transported in the ambulance at the time of the crash.

Deputies said the truck's driver appeared to be under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash.

All three of the injured were transported to Holland Hospital.  The severely injured EMT and the pickup truck driver were subsequently transferred to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids.

Kevin Jongekryg (left), Tim Hoffman. (undated Facebook courtesy photos)

AMR identified its employees as critical care paramedic crew members Kevin Jongekryg and Tim Hoffman. AMR said Hoffman was stabilized at Holland Hospital and then transferred to Butterworth for ongoing care.

Jongekryg is a 23-year veteran of AMR while Hoffman has worked for the company for 11 years.

Deputies said the pickup driver’s name is not being released pending a review from the Allegan County Prosecutor’s Office regarding possible charges.

The pickup truck driver and the driver of the ambulance were both wearing seat belts but the EMT in the back of the ambulance was not restrained.