ALLEGAN COUNTY, Mich. – The cleanup and damage assessment following Thursday’s explosion has unveiled a handful of medical marijuana grow operations at a storage facility near Hamilton.
Renters we spoke with asked to remain anonymous, but said there’s at least four or five different operations deemed legal by police, but the owner of the facility is now facing a lot of expenses. The massive explosion came from a propane tank used to heat a medical marijuana grow operation housed at Storage Unlimited along 60th Street. Jeff King owns the facility and said all the growers have followed the law.
Neighbors reported feeling the blast as far as 13 miles away. It destroyed at least four storage buildings. There was a man with his dog in a unit next door to the blast. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be okay, but his dog died on scene.
“He wasn’t supposed to be living there. Everyone signs a contract saying they won’t do anything illegal,” said King. “I’m just thankful nobody got seriously hurt.”
Police are continuing their investigation but said everyone growing is legal and licensed to do so. King identified the man injured in the blast as James Fritz. He is currently at Spectrum Health in fair condition, but denied any interviews.