BENTON HARBOR, Mich — Deputies with the Berrien County Sheriff’s Department say one person is dead and two people have been hospitalized in what is being called an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat on Lake Michigan off Benton Harbor. Authorities made the discovery after being called to an unknown medical emergency on a boat in Lake Michigan just off Jean Klock Park.
All three people on the boat were transported to the hospital. One person was pronounced dead upon arrival. One of the other patients was transported to Grand Rapids for further treatment. The third person on the boat is stable according to deputies.
Investigators say several first responders were also admitted to the hospital for carbon monoxide exposure.
The incident remains under investigation.