The WWE has terminated its contract with Terry Bollea, better known as Hulk Hogan, after reports surfaced early Friday that suggested the wrestling star was recorded using racial slurs.
“WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea ,” the company said in a statement. “WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide.”
As of Friday morning, all mentions of Hogan had been removed from the WWE’s website. His biography page now redirects to an error page. Dave Meltzer, a reporter for the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, said the WWE website was told around midnight to remove all references of Hogan.
Hogan has also been removed from WWE’s reality TV show Tough Enough and his merchandise has been pulled from the WWE store.
Multiple reports suggest the termination is connected to the wrestler using a racial slur during a 2012 radio interview, however there are also reports of a second recording of the wrestler going on a “racial tirade,” according to Wrestling Inc.
Hogan is currently involved in a $100 million lawsuit against Gawker after the website posted his sex tape video. Gawker’s legal team argues that publication of the salacious footage is protected by the First Amendment, noting that Hogan is a public figure who had made his sexual exploits a matter of public record.