News

Actions

Child loses hand in Benton Harbor fireworks accident

Posted at 5:56 PM, Jun 30, 2015

BENTON HARBOR, Mich. — Two children were injured Tuesday afternoon after a fireworks accident in the 600 block of Pavone Street.

According to Benton Harbor Police, the children, ages, 14 and 12, were playing with a “homemade firework device.”  Police were called to the scene at 1:55 p.m.

One of the children lost his left hand, and the second had minor facial injuries, police said.

“The Benton Harbor Department of Public Safety wants to emphasize that playing with fireworks is extremely dangerous and that any use of fireworks must be in accordance with the instructions, and under strict adult supervision,” the department said in a release.