GRAND RAPIDS, Mich — On Monday, ArtPrize hosted its third annual Jurors’ Shortlist Event at the ArtPrize HUB, where the ArtPrize Jurors revealed their top 20 picks for the competition.
There are five pieces listed in four different categories: 2D, 3D, Installation, and Time-Based. Those 20 finalists are now in the running to win $20,000 in their respective categories and ultimately the $200,00 Juried Grand Prize.
On Monday, a fifth category award juror selected five ArtPrize venues to compete for the $20,000 Outstanding Venue Juried Award.
Here are the 20 entries on the Jurors’ Shortlist:
- Sonya Clark’s “The Hair Craft Project,” which on display at Kendall College of Art & Design
- Suzanne Opton’s “Solider” at the Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Debra Van Poolen’s “Artistic Witness of Chelsea Manning’s Court Martial” on display at Fountain Street Church
- Heartside Arts Collective’s “Unchain the Neighborhood” at Heartside Gallery and Studio
- Zach Mory’s “24 Circles and Diamonds” at Cathedral Square
- Osman Kahn’s “House” at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
- Maximo Gonzales’ “Tengo Hambre” at Kendall College of Art and Design
- Alisha Wessler’s “From Afar It Is an Island” at Frederick Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
- Loris Cecchini’s “Wallave vibration (anatomy of a diagram)” at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
- Ladislav Hanka’s “Great Wall of Bees: Intelligence of the Bee Hive” at the UICA
- Dance in the Annex’s “Respirador (Breather)” at SiTE:LAB
- Steve Lambert’s “Capitalism Works for Me” at Kendall College of Art and Design
- Mel Chin’s “Operation Paydirt/Fundred Dollar Bill Project” at Kendall College of Art and Design
- Jason File’s “Life Copy” at the Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Corey Ruffin’s “ArtPrize! The Musical” at the Pyramid Scheme
- Julie Schenkelberg’s “Symptomatic Constant” at SiTE:LAB
- Darryl Lauster’s “God Bless America” at Calder Plaza
- Henry Brimmer’s “there’s something happening here” at the UICA
- Alex Podesta’s “Self Portrait as Bunnies (The Bathers)” located in The Grand River
- Anila Quayyum Agha’s “Intersections” at the Grand Rapids Art Museum
The five candidates for the Outstanding Venue Juried Award are:
- Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Kendall College of Art & Design
- SiTE:LAB @ The Morton
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts
- Fountain Street Church
ArtPrize 2014 wraps up on October 12.