Two Men Arrested, One Charged With Murder of High School Athlete

Posted at 9:10 PM, Apr 29, 2014
and last updated 2014-05-01 04:50:24-04

MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Mich. ( April 29, 2014) — Two men are behind bars, and one of which is being charged with the murder of a 17-year-old Muskegon Heights student athlete.

Marquis Gresham was a high school junior on his way to his basketball banquet when he was gunned down on Apr. 23.

The Muskegon County Prosecutors Office said that an open murder charge has been filed against 20-year-old Shundarius Lawson in the shooting death of Gresham.

Prosecutors said that this isn’t Lawson’s first run in with police. He has a felony on his record for running from police last summer.

Prosecutors have also charged 19-year-old Ryheim Beasley with a felony count of lying to police during the investigation of Gresham’s death.

Beasley was charged with a felony 2 years ago, after breaking into a gun store.

Muskegon County District Attorney DJ Hilson said that both suspects were in custody within hours of the murder.

“It was certainly as a result of the very hard and dedicated efforts of the Muskegon Heights Police Department and their detective bureau a long with the detectives that joined forces with them that very night,” said Hilson.

During a public forum last week, law enforcement from across Muskegon County said often times people don’t come forward with information because of fear of retaliation. Investigators in this case said that thankfully getting witnesses to talk wasn’t an issue.

“I’m hoping that is as a result of the trust that the community has that law enforcement is going to do its job and we are going to bring to justice those that have done these wrong doings and that’s exactly what we’ve done,” said Hilson.

Although the investigation isn’t over, Hilson said that bringing closure for Gresham’s family is their goal.

“It was really one of those conversations that are nothing very difficult, but satisfying in the same vein. We could provide some information and comfort to the family and let them know that investigators didn’t stop until we got to this point in the prosecution where we could actually now begin to issue charges,” said Hilson.

It’s still unclear if more charges will be filed or anymore arrests in this case.

Lawson is expected to be arraigned on the murder charge Wednesday morning.