(April 17, 2014) Morning anchors Sarah Brodhead and Mike Avery talk to Meijer’s registered dietitian, Sheri Steinbach, about recipes to make for Easter brunch that cost $10 or less for a family of four.
Garden Vegetable Quiche
2 whole eggs – $0.22
¾ cup egg substitute – $0.71
2 cups low-fat milk – $0.39
1 cup Meijer grated Parmesan cheese – $1.74
½ tsp. salt – on hand
½ tsp. McCormick Ground Black Pepper – on hand
1 tbsp. olive oil – on hand
1 cup diced onion – $0.50
1 cup Meijer pre-sliced mushrooms – $1.00
1 zucchini, sliced – $0.60
1 cup broccoli florets – $0.89
1 tomato, chopped – $0.40
½ cup Meijer canned asparagus, cuts and tips or cooked fresh asparagus, cut into ½ -inch pieces – $0.75
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9.5-inch round baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Sauté onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and broccoli about 4-5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Mix in tomato and asparagus. Set aside. Let cool 5 minutes. Spoon vegetable mixture into baking dish. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
- Bake at 350°F until the top is firm or knife inserted into the center comes out clean about 40-45 minutes. Cool so that quiche has time to firm up before you cut it.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 134 calories, 6g fat, 3g saturated fat, 72mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 12g protein
Whole Grain Banana Bread
2-¼ cup Meijer white whole wheat flour – $0.22
2 tsp. baking powder – on hand
½ tsp. baking soda – on hand
½ tsp. McCormick ground nutmeg – on hand
¼ tsp. salt – on hand
½ cup sugar – on hand
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (about 3 large) – $0.52
1/3 cup fat-free milk – $0.04
¼ cup canola oil – on hand
1 egg, slightly beaten – $0.11
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and sugar. In a separate bowl combine mashed banana, milk, oil and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 135 calories, 4g fat, 12mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g protein
Serve with: Fresh Strawberries – $1.50
TOTAL COST: $9.59