Lightning Sparks House Fire

Posted at 9:30 AM, Oct 05, 2013
and last updated 2013-10-05 15:13:14-04

HASTINGS, Mich.- Firefighters say everyone is safe after an early morning house fire.

It happened in the 3000 block of William F. Hayes Drive in rural Hastings. Fire officials on the scene say the fire was most likely sparked by lightning just before 3 a.m. They say the homeowner was there at the time and was woken up by his dog, both got out safe.

Multiple crews were called in to fight the flames. Fire officials on the scene say the house is most likely a total loss between the fire and water damage. The fire department says they were able to save a lot of the homeowner’s belongings.