78-Year-Old Muskegon Man Found Safe After Getting Lost In The U.P.

Posted at 4:22 PM, Sep 18, 2013
and last updated 2013-09-18 16:22:12-04

generic police lightsIRON COUNTY,Mich. — According to the Iron County Sheriff’s Office On Monday September 16th 2013 Iron County 911 received a call from a hunter reporting that he was lost somewhere in northern Iron County. The hunter reported himself lost at 5:44pm. Deputies from the Iron County Sheriff’s Office, Baraga County Sheriff’s Office and State Troopers from the L’Anse Detachment searched for the hunter until approximately 1:15am. During the search the hunter reported that he had food and water, and was comfortable staying in his vehicle for the night.

At 7:00am on Tuesday September 17th, Iron County Deputies took up the search once again. Iron County Search and Rescue, Conservation Officers from the DNR, and the Covington Fire Department searched northern Iron and southern Baraga Counties. Using GPS locations from the hunters cellular service provider the search was concentrated in the area around Ned Lake near the Iron and Baraga County line.

A Department of Homeland Security Helicopter was in the Upper Peninsula conducting an unrelated operation when it became available to searchers. The helicopter arrived in the area and began searching shortly before 4pm. With the hunter listening and giving information on where he heard the helicopter rescuers were able to direct the aircraft near the missing man. At 4:32pm the helicopter reported finding the man with his vehicle in a remote area of southern Baraga County between Ned Lake and the South Nestoria Road. The helicopter crew was then able to direct rescuers to the lost man.

The investigation found that Leroy Carlston, a 78-year-old Muskegon man, was in Upper Michigan grouse hunting. On Monday morning Carlston left Amasa up the Grade to hunt. Carlston proceeded north on ever more remote and unimproved roads until he reached a large area crisscrossed with logging roads. Driving around the roads Carlston became disoriented and unable to find his way out of the woods. Carlston attempted self rescue the following day but was still unable to negotiate the maze of unfamiliar roads.

Carlston was found unharmed and in good spirits.