DORR, Mich.– A deadly fire in Allegan County shocked the small town and all that knew the father of four, when their home in Dorr went up in flames around 2 a.m. Friday. Paul Smit didn’t make it out.
Family and neighbors told Fox 17 News, Smit was a great guy, a loving father and a devoted Christian who will be truly missed. When the fire sparked, the family’s three youngest kids were at a sleepover. Smit’s wife and son made it out of the home, but Smit did not.
This fire has been hard for the Dorr Fire Department. The fire chief tells us they haven’t had a fatal fire in 12 years. It’s also devastated this small community.
Fire investigators determined the cause to be careless cigarette use.
The Hopkins Community Reformed Church is accepting clothing donations for the family Saturday from 1-3 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. Monetary donations can be made to the Smit Family Fund at any Chemical Bank.