BELDING, Mich. -- Investigators are still trying to find the cause of an explosion at a newly built house in the 12000 block of Woodland Park Drive in Belding.
Reports of the blast came in around 9:30 p.m. Saturday, and multiple departments responded to the scene. The house is a total loss, but luckily no one was injured in the explosion.
FOX 17 spoke with the homeowner over the phone briefly and learned that they were out of town at the time of the incident.
Grattan Township fire officials revisited the scene today but determined it was too dangerous to inspect the house. They have yet to confirm an exact cause of the explosion, but many neighbors tell FOX 17 the area smelled strongly of gas leading up to the blast.
The state fire marshall was set to arrive on scene at some point on Sunday to pinpoint the exact cause.
DTE advises customers that if they ever smell gas or suspect a gas leak, to leave the area immediately and call their Emergency Gas Leak Hotline at 1-800-947-5000.