PLAINWELL, Mich. (May 22, 2014) — Norovirus is to blame for an outbreak of illness following Plainwell High School’s prom weekend.
According to the Allegan County Health Department, more than 150 of the school’s roughly 800 students became ill. The school closed May 14 so the building could be properly disinfected.
Food poisoning was initially believed to be the cause, but officials said that the catered food at the prom had nothing to do with the illnesses. However, they do believe that the illness spread at the event.
Officials tested stool samples from five students to determine that norovirus was behind the outbreak. No further illnesses have been reported by the school since the initial cases.