PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA. — If you haven’t heard yet, ole’ Phil saw his shadow Sunday morning on Groundhog’s Day, forecasting six more weeks of winter (frankly we’d be lucky if it were that short). This year was really a no brainer! I think he may have been roasted at the stake if he had said otherwise.
In keeping with a tradition laid down by David Letterman, here are my top ten reasons why Phil needed to see his shadow this year:
10. Grand Rapids has already recorded 82 inches of snow this season
9. Muskegon tallied more than 98 inches of snow thus far this season
8. At least two more snow storms are likely this week across the eastern half of the United States
7. Climate Prediction Center (CPC) six to 10 day temperature outlook says cold. See it here
6. Climate Prediction Center eight to 14 day temperatures outlook says cold. See it here
5. The Great Lakes have major ice coverage on them
4. Even Florida saw snow/ice last week
3. Thousands of cold temperature records have been broken this season
2. For many states this is one of the coldest winters in several decades
1. Anyone that believes winter is going anywhere anytime soon is just plain mistaken…even a rodent knows that!
Image courtesy of the Chicago Tribune. You can always get the complete West Michigan forecast at www.fox17online.com/weather.